231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hi... I'm in Delaware!

As if I thought I would never quote Wayne's World another time in my life.

So I'm in Delaware. This is my first real travel gig as a consultant. It's a lot of fun for this first day, let's see how long it takes until it sucks. I'm only scheduled here for the month.

I took a train from Penn Station down to Wilmington, Delaware. I liked the train, it was only 1hr 36min and I was able to work off my laptop the whole way down. If you are traveling, trains with tables, ac power, and internet are awesome.

Wilmington, DE will seem vaguely familiar to you as it is where you mail all your credit card payments. Can anybody think of anything funny for me to take a picture of in front of a Credit Card company? Delaware may also ring a bell from the movie, Fight Club, (which makes sense, they were blowing up CC companies.) If you curious why all the CC companies are located here, it's because DE has some pretty low business taxes.

Photo_050305_001.jpg
I had the privlege of renting a Purple Kia Rio. I've been spoiled with my Ford Taurus for 3 months. Kia's are damn small. If I put my foot on the gas and try to remove it and apply it to the brake, I can't. My foot gets wedged on the gas pedal, between the brake and the floor. It may be hard to picture, so just picture me driving around a barbie-mobile. Also, it has power NOTHING. No power locks, no trunk, no windows, no nothing. The FM antenna isn't even motorized. You have to pull it out with your bare hands, what's up with that?

Wilmington is a little scary, I'm not sure what to make of it. The license plates hold the claim to "First State in the Union." To me that's like telling everybody you're the 35 year old at the frat party. (Because your baldness didn't give you away.) Also, it has this weird ghetto yet safe feel to the neighborhood. I'm not sure what to think of it.

I ordered room service for dinner. And although that sounds like a lot of fun (which it was.) The food was terrible. It was cold. I ordered a soup and didn't get a spoon, maybe I just have to high of standards.

1 Comments:

  • At 5/05/2005 12:07 AM, Blogger Adam Phillabaum said…

    I half-watched a semi-interesting Discovery channel special about why lots of CC companys are in South Dakota. The rates for loans used to be really high, and SD let the CC companies set low rate... the state was essentially 'bought off' by Citi.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home