231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Friday, May 06, 2005

I've invented internet graffiti

So my wiki has turned into graffiti and I don't mind that. Some people would call in vandalism, I call it free expression. However, it has taught me a few lessons.

  • If you are to run a personal wiki, you'd should have everybody create an account in order to make changes. One person cannont maintain a wiki like a community can.
    • This would allow you to 'audit' the changes quite easily. Right now it's too difficult for one person to do all the editing to clean up the content. For personal wiki's this is bad, for community wiki's (wikipedia) this is okay.
    • Wiki software should have some sort of hightlight/track changes system, this way it's easy to find all the individual changes made. Instead of combing though my paragraphs for "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" or "I am finding out that wiki is NOT a good idea."
  • Wiki's need RSS feeds, maybe some of them do, but my software doesn't.
  • The wiki editor is AMAZING. It is a little flaky on formatting, but it offers so many possibilities. Everything should be like that; blogs, wiki's, homepages. They don't have to take the concept that anybody can edit, but they should all use a really sophisticated text editor.
So I'm gonna let the wiki run wild for a while, do with it what you must. What will come out of this is some new ideas.
  1. Not allowing people to change your personal content is probably a good idea
  2. Wiki's can be fun, they just need some more auditing/change tracking features
My plan is to take a snapshot of the last good wiki and make it static (un-editable.) I'll then create some sort of new blog with a wiki on the side.

I still need to post all the photos and stories from my roadtrip, I really dropped the ball on that one as it was too much work to keep that up and running 100% on my roadtrip.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/06/2005 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The concept of a wiki is to let everyone edit, if there are restrictions on this the wouldn't your wiki become a blog?

    The David Sedaris comment was off the hook. Jesus, you have a sick mind

    -John A.

     
  • At 5/06/2005 3:01 PM, Blogger Vincent said…

    Well, I wouldn't put restrictions on what people posted. I would just ask for people to create a user account. From there, I would like to track the changes made by particular users. This way if somebody just puts garbage up on the wiki, it's easy to clean (just filter by that particular user.)

    Wiki's should allow everybody to contribute, but they should also contain useful information. I wouldn't censor anybody. However, as a personal webpage, I would like to display relevant messages, and remove irrelevant messages. If you take an example like Wikipedia, if somebody posted about fixing cars on Paul Revere's bio page, the community would remove the car fixing information because it doesn't belong there.

    Off to the side, I would like to have a totally open sandbox where people can play around and put whatever they want up there.

     
  • At 5/06/2005 3:07 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    I love your wiki.

     
  • At 5/09/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Kris said…

    Hummm.. sounds like Regulation to me.

     
  • At 5/09/2005 10:41 AM, Blogger Vincent said…

    So maybe you're right that it's 'regulation.' But it's public, open discussion regulation. Taking on my example of auto repair material posted into Paul Revere's bio page. I guess if somebody cleaned up the article to remove the inappropriate auto material, technically they would be 'regulating,' but it is a neccesitty in order to maintain useful and understandable content.

     
  • At 5/09/2005 11:23 AM, Blogger Kris said…

    " but it is a neccesitty in order to maintain useful and understandable content."

    So in order to avoid a tragedy of the commons situation, you support regulation?

    When a commonly held asset is owned by everyone, no one feels a particularly overt need to maintain it, assuming that someone else will take care of the damage.

    So in the case of airwaves, do you think that regulation is necessary? What about seatbelts? What about the INTERNET?

    All this regulation does not seem very free (as in speech) to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home