231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Red Hat

Forewarned, this is a geek posting.

So Martin invited me to another monthly redhat seminar. This one turned out to be interesting, Michael Tiemann, VP Open Source Affairs gave an excellent talk.

While we did get a wealth of free pizza and drinks (I had 3 Yoo-hoo's) the best part was sitting down with Michael Tiemann, the CTO. First, the fact that the CTO of a large company was so relaxed and willing to sit down and share some pizza with a bunch of kids was impressive. Second, I can see that he is somebody passionate about Open Source and it was good to hear somebody in the industry. I'm still having trouble about how they justify their licensed model of Open Source Software (OSS) but I understand my views might be too out there (I'm not sure if that's left or right field though.)

I can't wait for the Free Software Foundation annual meeting this Saturday. On a side note, I thought I finished Lessig's Free Culture the other week, but it turns out there were 4 more chapters that I somehow missed, so I'm back to that.

I just finished up Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad Poor Dad and I'm not sure what I think about it. Overall, I would say I'm disappointed. It started out slow and 'fluffy.' It also had a pretty depressing view of money and so called richness but I decided to give it a listen because I've heard many people talk about it. I'm not sure who the intended audience is for, but I would not recommend the book.

Tunes: Cupid's Trick - Elliot Smith [E.S. just feels good to listen to]

2 Comments:

  • At 3/23/2005 9:13 AM, Blogger todd said…

    It's nice to sit down with industry folks every once in a while. I have a good friend that is a partner for a very small development firm in Atlanta, and I talk shop with him and his company when I can. He keeps me plugged in to the geek world.

    As for Rich Dad, Poor Dad, you should understand that his definition of money is the same as our definition of a laptop, it's a tool nothing else. The ways in which he describes the means to use it can only be seen as such. I think the point that comes off badly is the emotional part, because money drives emotions and it shouldn't. I agree, the book isn't for everyone, but it's a good read if you want to change your perspective on something that has a large effect on your life.

     
  • At 3/23/2005 9:31 AM, Blogger Vincent said…

    I hear ya, I do agree with his views. Maybe my problem was that he was appealing to an audience that didn't agree with his thoughts and he was trying to bring them over. I'm pretty aligned with his thoughts and was expecting to get more out of the book.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home