231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

A Visit from Richmond

So Chris came down for the weekend and I had a great time. Friday night had a few twists and turns though.

****************************************************
FRIDAY

On Chris's drive down I decided to head into Raleigh for an hour to play pool with the other interns. Instead of typing in Duraleigh Rd, I type in Durham Rd in Raleigh, NC. Little did I know where I would end up. As I'm approaching my destination, the roads seem very desolate, but as this is 1000 miles from nyc, I think that everything is in order.

The lady on my GPS lets me know that "I have arrived" when I'm sitting in front of a lone mail box on the corner of a dirt and gravel road. At this point I give Kei a call to say that I'm going to be late. He informs me of the current address. I then proceed for a few miles down this dirt/gravel road in the middle of nowhere trying to get back to civilization. It was dark, it was scary. There were these white Southern Baptist Churches every hundred feet that were lit up with spot lights to highlight their creepiness. They were one story buildings with those huge massive steeples that stick up into the sky. At this point I locked my car doors because I feared that I was in ass raping country. I don't even lock my doors when I'm driving though the bronx.

I finally make it to the pool hall just to throw down a beer and drive back to Chapel Hill to meet Chris. I take Kei with me and we head down to Franklin St with Rane as well. She took us to a Chapel Hill hipster bar that did have a slight hipster feel to it (pool table, pbrs, somewhat sloppy hair styles, ...) but was a little too bright. After a few Long Island's we headed to another bar to meet up with Francisco. I was royally drunk by this point as I did not have dinner. We pound back a few more drinks and shots and then I forget most of the rest of the night. From what I hear, we went to Top O' the Hill for 20min before last call. I do remember gaining conscious about 95% through a Waffle House meal.


****************************************************
SATURDAY

Woke up late and headed down to the post office to get some V day cards out by Chris and I. There was a cool ny style deli down there that we grabbed lunch at. The food wasn't that great, but the decor was to the T. We were also suckered into buying some Girl Scout Cookies by a persistent saleswoman on top of a car.

Afterwards we headed to Southpoint where we say a half naked man and a girl standing in front of Abercrombie & Fitch trying to attract traffic. It worked for Chris so we headed in. I bought a green zip-up jacket at Banana Republic that I'm quite happy about. It's a ripoff jacket that Brian has, since when did Brian become trendy? NYC will do that to a person.

Later that evening Chris and I headed to my technical mentor's house for food, drinks, and fun. The rest of my team was there and we ate good food, played ping pong, and watched Office Space.

We ducked out early to head back down to Franklin St where we once again met up with Kei and were joined by some EB interns. After chillin at Top O' the Hill for a few drinks we strolled over to 'Players.' Now if you've never been to 'Players' you need to understand the atmosphere. Keep in mind that no description could do it justice and you must visit this place at least once if you live down here. Imagine dirty spring break bar meets forgotten about urban city and you have players - where everybody's drunk and you're not having a goodtime unless your bumping something against somebody. We made a night of this and I don't think I will attempt a return trip with a party of 7 dudes again. You need a few females in a situation like that. One female is not enough because the whole party will accost her all night.

After last call, police officers are kind enough to standby as you exit the 'club.' We headed down to I heart NY Pizza were I seemed to been ripped off with $15 worth of 4 slices. I think a quasi fight might have broke out as there was a lot of testosterone waiting online.

End scene.


****************************************************
SUNDAY

After a Cinnamon Raisin at Bagel's on the Hill Chris headed back to VA for a full day of work. I went home and napped. When I woke up I did some laundry, ran a few errands, and returned the projector to Staples. The return when smoother then I could have hoped for, what a success. On an obligatory trip to Walmart I stopped by the neighboring dollar store to pick up a book, "Dear God, Thanks for making me special!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home