231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

!Cellphedia

A Ubiquitous Social Encyclopedia - Cellphedia

Basically, you post a question to the community via your cell phone, and hopefully somebody in the community answers. I think the thought is more along the line of trivia, but I'd like to see it help you find information. For instance, let's say you are traveling and need train times leaving from NYC. I would hope that you could send a text message to the community asking for a train schedule and they could do the leg work for you. This way, on a cell phone, where you have limited input capabilities, you could leverage the community, sort of like your own personal assistant.

Very cool stuff!

2 Comments:

  • At 5/13/2005 9:39 AM, Blogger todd said…

    This post brings an interesting question about collective knowledge. Does society value the individual with all the knowledge or the individual that can find the knowledge in specific resources (books, interenet, friends, law)? Trivia Night used to be the geekiest, shut-ins winning, or a group of people that had all the right people as resources -- the sports guy, music guy, literature, movies, science, etc.

    How do you teach someone that doesn't need to learn stuff, but learn associations with search tools. The dewey-decimal system was great to learn -- but who really used it in our generation. What are they teaching kids these days about the value of specifics and the value of a good center point in a web of search hacks?

     
  • At 5/13/2005 11:05 AM, Blogger Vincent said…

    Good point. It makes me think about my earlier post and having no homework in elementary schools.

    When I look back on how teachers looked down at graphing calculators and the internet for studying. Teachers should not thing of these devices as cheats, they are tools that they should encourage. These are the tools that I use to do my work.

    I have been out of school for a while, but I have a feeling there are a number of older teachers who don't recognize the educational value of the internet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home