231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Review of Camtasia

So I spent the past 12 hours making a screencast for IBM using Camtasia. I picked Camtasia for a few reasons, one Martin used it, and two, Mr. Screencast himself, Jon Udell uses it. However I find some serious flaws with the program.
  1. It doesn't have very advanced audio editing capabilities. I can't *insert* an audio clip in the middle of an existing clip. Am I missing something here?
  2. It was really buggy for me. If I was editing a lot of clips, it would mess up my future frames and either slow them down, or delete minutes of footage. I have no idea why and I sent an email to Camtasia.
  3. I would have hoped that it would have allowed me to select a range of capture and say 'take out every other frame.' So if you were typing text, you could make it fly by twice as fast. But it didn't have that option.

1 Comments:

  • At 5/22/2005 12:24 PM, Blogger Martin Davidsson said…

    1. I thought you could insert audio? You're probably right since I haven't used it in months and you just used it for 12 hours. If I remember correctly, you can insert an audio clip in an existing clip in the Audio Editor (separate application that comes bundled). That probably doesn't help you though if you've already laid down the audio op top of the video recording.
    2. I also had this problem. Very annoying.

    4. Bonus flaw: Blogger should show the original posting by default, and when it does it should retain the HTML formatting. I had to click a link to show your post along side this comment and it's not showing the ordered list of your flaws.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home