231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I have finally moved back to nyc

Today I wrapped up my last day in Delaware. The positive of that is that I no longer have to be in Delaware, the negative of that is that I don't get to watch TV in a hottub anymore. (The hotel I had this week had a hottub right in the room, like 3' from the bed, it was nuts.)
Photo_060605_001

The hotel also had a 'Microfridge.' For anybody that has lived in a crappy BU dorm, it is sure to bring tears to your eyes.
Photo_060605_007

I've been working for the past month on the sole purpose of making a powerpoint presentation (or 'deck' as we say in the consulting industry.) Isn't that crazy? I've spent around 100-120 hours just making a powerpoint presentation, it's only 30 slides. Yes, I had to do a lot of research to build the slides, but it seems a little ridiculous to me. One lesson I learned, presentations can never be 'final.' They are always in this perpetual state of people commenting and wanting to change the 'wording.' You end up running in circles.

********************************************************
I hung out with Josh J last night in Philly, we talked brains. Josh has moved on from a computer geek to neuroscience nerd. Here's a paper he's recently written.

<'book review/nerd block'>
I'm currently reading (listening) to On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins. Most of you will know of Jeff's work as he was the founder of Palm. Jeff has always been interested in how the brain works and started palm as an offshoot because he invented Palm's hand recognition software, Graffiti. That was somewhat of an AI project. On Intelligence is an amazing book opening up new ideas for me around intelligence and how our brains work (and why AI is going the wrong direction.) I highly recommend it, although I have a feeling most people won't find it interesting.
<'end book review/nerd block'>

So I have to start back at one of my old projects on Monday. Something I'm not terribly happy about. I was basically told I didn't have a choice - I didn't like that. The benefits are that it is within walking distance from my apt, has some pretty fun ppl on the project, and has a kickass cafeteria. The downsides are that I find the work pretty non-exciting and the atmosphere can be somewhat of a downer at times. Monday I set up a meeting with my manager, I'm gonna tell him how I want to move out of my current consulting role. I have a feeling that it's not gonna go over very well. It sorta like me quitting my current position, and people don't like to hear that. It's time for me to move on though, I've been doing this pharma consulting role for 2+ years now and its just not something I'm excited about. I actually find it quite weird that I ended up on this track. I'm not in this position because I wanted it, I'm here because I randomly fell onto an pharma project 2 years ago.

5 Comments:

  • At 6/09/2005 9:45 AM, Blogger Big Tom said…

    My mom went to BU, and let me just say it is amazing how much beer you can fit in that fridge! The only bad thing is when it breaks down and all your deli meat rots and you don't figure out where the smell is comming from for a week!

     
  • At 6/09/2005 10:19 AM, Blogger todd said…

    Does that "Micro Fridge" say cook and defrost? I thought a fridge was for cooling things. I don't know how you do it at BU, but at GT those functions were on the microwave, not that I have one, but I've heard.

     
  • At 6/09/2005 10:23 AM, Blogger Vincent said…

    Micro Fridges are both a microwave and refrigerator bolted together, they're AWESOME.

    Here's a better pic.

     
  • At 6/09/2005 10:44 AM, Blogger todd said…

    I had a toaster oven on top of my mini-fridge, but they weren't bolted together.

    Vin -
    The blog-o-sphere blew up on Kris' site -- thx for the connection -- pretty good conversation. I'll try and James in on the tech/dork talk -- I'm having breakfast with him and dana most mornings now, so I get my daily dose of mac/tech/social networking theory with my granola/fruit/yogurt breakfast.

     
  • At 6/09/2005 12:10 PM, Blogger eirishis said…

    Go vinnie go vinnie go vinnie go. Time to get the heck out of pharma consulting. And there is always room in NC.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home