231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

I've reached the edge of the blogosphere and I don't like what I see

There are way too many postings and comments on my friends blogs of social relationships for me to keep track of and still function.

Here's an outline of what I know of:

Kristine
Todd
Emily - post 1, post 2
and lets not forget Fayza.

So what don't i like about this? It's just not easy to collaborate on the same subject. Yes, blogs are great - as a friend Aneel pointed out, they're like your front porch on the internet and they allow you to yell out whatever you want. However, there are too many front porches and no way to really connect them. I don't want to have to search around for different threads and put all this information together, I want it to be automatically done for me.

I think Blogs may need to be re-invented ever so slightly. When I comment on another's blog, my blog should track that in some way (more then what TRACKBACK has to offer.) Sometimes a lot of good stuff is said in the comments. There needs to be aggregators to link all of these blog posts into a common thread, sorta the way Gmail links multiple email threads into one conversation.' These all need to be built into a syndication format such as RSS or ATOM.

What I would love to see, are autogenerated links and mappings to all these conversations. So for instance, I commented on Kristine's post. Maybe I could click a checkbox to post that on my blog as a new entry. Or maybe on my blog there can be a list of my recent comments on other peoples blogs. Underneath this, should be threads to other blogs that talk of the same post. I know Trackbacks and Technorati try to address this, but they really don't. It's not clean, it's not efficient, they don't do all the things we need.

This should all be visual, sorta like navigating a standard webpage. Even though there are lots of deep links, you are made aware of where you are going and the content you will be reading. And yes, other relationships should be tied together - to your emails, to your IM conversations, to your cell phone calls. Obviously people will have objections to these, so it will be a service that you can turn on and off. Personally, I wouldn't mind having all of my relationships mapped out.

This may be a little too abstract for most, I don't have a good enough view of what this all needs to look like, but it has to happen soon.

6 Comments:

  • At 6/09/2005 12:13 PM, Blogger todd said…

    super-duper CMS -- Content Mangement Systems --

    I would like to see the an addition to the RSS/ATOM feeds and trackback on blogs in the aggregators - maybe a hierarchy or list item "li" -- setup in the feed for the comments/trackbacks -- with a side map of how these people are connected to you. Vin, this could be a cool project. This wouldn't take much from a PHP programming perspective of XML, just add a child node to the parent post but the readers have to have the capability of seeing that node.

    side note -- I was talking to James and Chris about this a bit. This is first time I've seen that many-many relationship our professors were talking about in those good 'ole days when the interent mass market was all theory.

     
  • At 6/09/2005 12:30 PM, Blogger 1009 said…

    AWESOME! I just read Kristine's post, and I have now decided that I will refer to you as "X."

    I think I'm going to move my blog over to blogspot. It's fun and incestuous, unlike the "dry like toast" xanga. I can't even put a link up.

    What's "theory"?

     
  • At 6/09/2005 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Or maybe on my blog there can be a list of my recent comments on other peoples blogs

    Really great idea. There some people who have already started doing this in delicious by bookmarking every comment they make. It's a little time-consumming, but it's probably worthwhile in the end if you make at least 2-3 comments per day.

     
  • At 6/09/2005 3:19 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    Typepad has a recent comments function, so people can see who most recently commented on YOUR blog. Maybe you can nab the HTML from one of those. I don't think that'll completely rectify the problem, but we could all get into a group blog, and that would be HELLA fun. We could just keep adding people. Blogsome gives you a function to allow anyone to join your blog...but I kinda think it's fun this way. I mean, it forces you to keep up with your friends via their blogs. And there's nothing wrong with that.

     
  • At 6/09/2005 3:47 PM, Blogger Kris said…

    I im'ed Todd, therefore I am no longer upset that you IMed Fayza. We are on the same page, but I am not having pseudo IM virtual flirting with Todd, and you had a faux threesome with Fayza.

     
  • At 6/17/2005 12:17 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    Wait a second. What the hell "faux threesome" did we have? That's news to me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home