231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Google, you're missing the next boat

I'm a long loving fan of Google, but something just occurred to me.

I talk very highly of Google, I use it 100's of times a day (sometimes an hour,) yet I pay $85 a year to Yahoo?

What am I paying Yahoo for you ask? Well, for Flickr Pro and Yahoo Music Unlimited. I find the pay/premium services of these two offerings indispensable, particularly, the social networking content recommendations.

So why is Google receiving any cold hard cash from me? I love their Gmail service, but I don't know if I would pay (I might.) I love their Desktop Search, but I don't know if I would pay. I choose Flickr over Picasa because of the social networking aspect. I choose Friendster over Orkut (invite only) because of the larger audience.

Ask Jeeve's has Bloglines, I think I would pay for that (they will be offering content recommendations soon.)

Many of these services are building behavioral and social networking analysis on my likes and dislikes. This will be HUGE in the future, especially for search and content delivery. Google has picked up on this somewhat with their personalized search, it is behavioral, but not social.

Yahoo is about to offer 'Social' Search next Tuesday. Where is Google on these premium services?

At the very least, when is Google going to support tagging? A la del.icio.us.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/03/2005 2:55 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    I suggest you try Rhapsody and give Yahoo the push off altogether. Rhapsody is amazing and led me to so many great bands.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home