231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

I've been making tough choices lately

I find myself at home and not out partying on yet another get-down-and-party night in nyc. I have so much work these days that I'm forced to make a choice of going out and boozing it up or staying in and doing work. And I'm actually choosing to stay in because it's work that I'm interested in. It's just such a weird choice to have to make. It's not that I have to, but that I choose to?

And yet I still feel like I don't have enough time. I'm halfway though David Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD for all you hardcore folks.) I should finish it up on the train into Delaware Monday morning. I have it as an audiotape from audible, but I got fed up with their damn DRM technology that won't let it play outside of their software. So I ripped it to OGG format so I could listen to it with a much better player on my Treo then they provide. I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but I don't think it should be. I paid for and own the hardcover book, I paid for and own the audio copy, shouldn't I be able to listen to it in any form I want?

Photo_052205_001
I have a bunch of mail I still need to go though from when I moved back up to nyc. That may not look like a lot, but it's only about 15% of my total pile. The nyc USPS is pretty horrible as most of that should have been forwarded down to Chapel Hill, NC.


Photo_051805_002
That's a picture of the $125 speeding ticket I had to pay to the Durham court for racing to get to Waffle House the morning of our Extreme Blue Expo. It's kinda bogus, the ticket is only like $30, but the court fees are ~$95. What's up with that?


Photo_051705_027
That's a photo of the two mints they left on my coffee table at the Homestead Hilton Hotel.
This is after I ate one:
Photo_051705_028
And this is after they are both done:
Photo_051705_030


Photo_051705_016
I tried out a new Hotel, that Homestead I just mentioned. It's not so bad, for one, it's bigger then my apartment. It's a one bedroom with a kitchen. They hotel sports a fireplace and heated outdoor pool (not open until memorial day.) They even have free breakfast and dinner, both of which I enjoy.

The kitchen comes with a whole spectrum of culinary delights, including a toaster and an empty refrigerator.
Photo_051705_024 Photo_051705_019



If you couldn't tell yet, I photoblog everything, why not, right? If you are really hardcore, you can subscribe to my flickr feed and get a live update of all my photo postings. But I'll make it easy for you by posting them all here.

This are two pics that I think look cool cause I'm taking the picture from behind me, it just looks weird to me.
Photo_051705_001
Photo_051705_007


And finally to our last post. Well, since I live in this world were I seem to have no time, I've fixed my TV so I can't watch cartoons on Sunday night. That's pretty much the only TV I watch, is Fox Sunday nights and Adult Swim. Who doesn't love ATHF (that's aqua teen huger force in case you don't love them.) My TV is now fixed.
Photo_051405_009

I think I'm going mad in this apartment.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/24/2005 11:38 AM, Blogger todd said…

    I find myself in the same stituation with the choices. I have way too many directions to go, or things I want to accomplish, but I never seem to get to half of them. Maybe I should figure out a schedule to accomplish a couple goals a day, or a week. I need to finish GTD and on a the right track with organizing all the projects I want to finish. Working 8 hours a day takes a lot of me, especially when it's in front of the computer all day and the projects I want to do at home are mostly computer based. I just finish a podcast of Josh Smart on accellerating change and how systems(computer, finnacial, biological, cognitive) are going to be making telescoping shifts in the next 50 years, where we will have such effiency we won't notice how little we need to work or live a great deal faster. I can't keep up with my own thoughts and goals as it is, I can't imagine being 75 and trying to deal with exponential effiency changes comparable or great than those we've already experienced in our short lifetime.

     
  • At 5/24/2005 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have solved that problem by not going out during the week but allowing myself free time on the weekends. What do you do in your hotel room during the week, that seems like a lot of down time to me.

     
  • At 5/24/2005 5:05 PM, Blogger Vincent said…

    I'm doing one of three things while in my hotel:
    1. Working (on the project I'm down here for.)
    2. Working (on the IBM stuff that interests me, not related to my consulting work.)
    3. Reading Blogs, which is a source of news and learning for me.

     
  • At 6/04/2005 1:34 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    (1) The hair is at a good length, although I realize I have nothing to compare it to.

    (2) Dude, those SO didn't look like mints. I was wondering what the hell you were doing taking pictures of condom wrappers before I read the subsequent commentary.

    (3) Are you Jewish? I forgot whether Kris said you were or weren't. Not that it makes a difference, but I am wondering.

     
  • At 6/04/2005 4:50 PM, Blogger Vincent said…

    I'm not Jewish, but you are the second person to think that in 2 weeks. Where is this coming from???

     
  • At 6/04/2005 5:29 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    You look Jewish. Maybe that's where it's coming from. I think it's your eyes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home