231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Camp Swan Lake

Photo_061205_001
So I went camping this weekend with a bunch of friends, about 12-13 of us at one point. It wasn't so much camping as it was a bunch of people taking over a new pre-fab log house. It was on a lake though, which was pretty sweet.

It was in the catskills, about 2-3hrs north of the city. On the way up, we made it a point to stop at some rinky diner. Which turned out to be a bad idea as somebody got food poising off a turkey sandwich. Luckily for me, I went with the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. And don't forget the chocolate milk shake.

It was a hot weekend, I kept turning the fireplace on, (because I like fireplaces) but everybody kept yelling at me. We drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of food, both of the bbq and baked kind. When I'm on vacation, I tend to have a beer in hand pretty solid throughout the day. One of our friends works for the Brooklyn Brewery, so he hooked us up with some different flavors of Brooklyn beer.

We went to an 'indoor yardsale.' It was an old restaurant filled with 20 year old junk, including a RadioShack Tandy TRS-80 which I almost purchased for $20, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Have the place didn't have working lights, so we searched around with flash lights, sorta like an old scobbie-doo episode. We ventured down into the basement where it was ultra frightening as we wondered in and out of meat closets. Nick hoped we would find a dead body and the locals running the joint would figure this out as we ran out and come find us in our cabin during the middle of the night.

The lake was fun as I found out how hard it is for a single person to empty the water out of a filled kayak by himself in the middle of a lake that he can't stay in. It's pretty much impossible, so I just swam (mounted) it around for a few hours until Brian came and picked me up.

We traded scary stories at night, Brian cried at one point. Raphe had the best stories as he used to be a camp counselor. Brian ate a worm (night crawler, here's the pic to prove it.)
Photo_061105_004

5 Comments:

  • At 6/13/2005 4:17 PM, Blogger 1009 said…

    Brian's come a long way. Yes, of course I mean that.

     
  • At 6/14/2005 6:06 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    I can't make out with a guy who ate a worm.

     
  • At 6/15/2005 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Five days later and I'm still pooping out little worms

     
  • At 6/19/2005 6:33 AM, Blogger Roonie said…

    Brian cried? That's so sensitive of him.

     
  • At 6/21/2005 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brian cried because he was high on funny brownies and Raphe was telling the scariest stories ever heard. I will never again throw the word "spine-tingling" around so loosely, because on that dark evening by the lake, my spine was truly tingled...so much that a tear fell down my cheek.
    Yeah, I'm sensitive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home