231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Personalize your internet

I'm sure a number of you came across Outfoxed on Slashdot yesterday.

This is the *exact* type of application I've been waiting for. It builds 'trust' around your browsing habits and allows the internet to be customized to your social network. For example, lets say you are searching for a new music player on your computer. You want to make sure you get a nice tool with no spyware or adware. You know that your friend Vinnie is very up on this technology and would probably know the best application to download. Vinnie can rate websites (of the applications) as Good, Bad, or Warning (be cautious.) Then when you end up on that page, or view it in your google search engine, you can see Vinnie's (and your other friend's) ratings. This allows you to make informed decisions based on the trust and testimonials of your social network.

Currently, this is a firefox plugin. It has far reaching applications that will completely change the way we use the web The news you read will be filtered though your social network, along with the music you listen to, the products you buy,... Note, when I say social network, it doesn't have to be your physical friends, it could be the profile of an individual you found online that closely matches your interests. For example, I subscribe to Yahoo's Launchcast music service, it allows me to create a personalized radio station. However, I can browse the music preferences of other individuals and 'subscribe to their tastes,' even though I've never met them. What I do know is that they share similar tastes to mine and therefore may introduce me to new music that I would like to hear.

I have a lot of ideas that I would love to build on top of this. My username is 'vlauria' if you want to add me to your new personalized internet browsing experinece.

Ohh, and their is some support for del.icio.us tags and users.

5 Comments:

  • At 6/21/2005 1:29 PM, Blogger 1009 said…

    Hmmm...the internet gets more and more personalized to your "tastes," until everything you see has been filtered through what you are already accustomed to seeing, completely neutralizing the exchange of information.

    Neat plug-in though.

     
  • At 6/22/2005 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I agree with Brent. The filter aspect is a little freaky-deeky. What, Vinnie, do you want to be our China or something?
    Fuck Off,
    Brian

     
  • At 6/22/2005 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    s/social network/(bias|government)

    Neat tool, but like the others already said this data is just going to feed your own bias.

     
  • At 6/22/2005 12:41 PM, Blogger Vincent said…

    I don't think people are looking far enough out. Right now it might be bias because our 'networks' are small. You probably would consider <100 people as part of your network.

    Once you start using the internet to make loosly coupled relationships tied together by a Tivo preference, your relationships will grow to the tens of thousands. Your network will no longer be bias to your physical relationships, your geography, your political preferences, ... It will be built on so many facets and connectors that it will become 'unbiased.'

    To that point, I'm somebody with a lot of different types of friends. If I were to use the interests of all my current friends, I think I would have very diverse views.

     
  • At 6/23/2005 2:01 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    I get news from all angles by reading blogs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home