231 Erwin Road

My experiences as a Northern transplant down in Chapel Hill, NC, 2005. And now my experiences back up in NYC.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Return to the past

So I just walked up the lobby of a building I haven't returned to in half a year. It was a client I worked at for 2 years. A building I had hoped not to return to.

It felt mildly comforting though. Somebody just sat in my old cube, the bastard. I took over one of the offices because nobody is here yet. I'll see how long this lasts.

I think it will take a few days for me to get back into the swing of having fun here. Most of the ppl are pretty cool and it can have a young atmosphere at times, although most of my good buddies have headed for higher water.


*******************************************
Apple switch to Intel
And Fayza, as for the Intel vs. Apple thing, yes it is interesting, for a few reasons. One it means they aren't using IBM chips anymore and two it opens up the possibility for them to run on generic Intel hardware (not necessarily though.)
  1. Switching from IBM is kinda surprising. However, IBM still dominates the video game console market (which is much larger.) I believe IBM will be powering all 3 game consoles on their next release.
  2. Apple using Intel hardware means a possibility for it to run on the traditional x86 platform. Maybe someday well see Apple commercials saying, "Dude, you're getting a Dell." I think that would be best for Apple, but I have a feeling Steve Jobs would disagree. I think Apple would see an increased marketshare if it focused on it's OS and not it's proprietary hardware.
    1. A think to note about Apples Intel switch is about software vendors and partners. I assume they will have to re-write all their programs to run on the new platform. I'm sure Apple will provide software emulation, but that's just not efficient.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/13/2005 11:29 AM, Blogger todd said…

    Apple - Intel

    The move to intel is based off heat/speed effiency. The software switch isn't going to effect 75% of the market. They have been developing their developers XCode to work with Intel and IBM chips for 5 years now. So the switch for sofware vendors is going to be somewhat easy, no emulation, just new compile files from updated XCode. The only thing is that software venders won't be able to support any old OS -- like OS 9 -- The structure of OS X is built for both chips and it's going to be a couple year switch. I don't they'll move away from Hardware - that's what makes Apple so stable and reliable.

     
  • At 6/13/2005 5:55 PM, Blogger Roonie said…

    Thank you, Vin and Todd. I was worried about my baby.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home